INBIO was created to promote in-terdisciplinary collaboration in order to study the role of new molecules, either obtained by synthesis or isolated from natural sources, in various biological processes. The study of their potential in the development of agrochemicals, against diseases of commercial crops, and the study of the molecular bases of pathologies and the use of bio-molecules in the generation of new drugs for the treatment or diagnosis of human pathologies of special prevalence.
Lines of research
There are four main lines of action of this institute:
- Identification of targets involved in molecular and cellular mechanisms in animals and vegetables.
- Identification, design and synthesis of molecules with biological activity for the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of animal and plant pathologies, with the aim of developing new drugs or agrochemicals.
- Functional characterization and interaction of biological targets with bioactive molecules using techniques from Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology and Omics.
- Thermodynamic and kinetic-mechanistic studies of biomolecules relevant to biological processes.
- Radioisotope and Biomolecule Analysis Laboratory.
- Automatic DNA sequencer.
- Flow cytometer.
- Double beam spectrophotometer.
- Capillary electrophoresis sequencer.
- Automatic microarray system.
- Fourier transform infrared, CD and equipment for reaction kinetics studies
- RAMAN spectromicroscope.
- Medium capacity lyophilizer.
- Walk-in cold room, bunkers of -20, -80 and -150ºC.
- Walk-in growth chambers.
- Pressurized fluid extractor (ASE).
- HPTLC system.
- Extractor and supercritical chromatograph.
- Photoperiod growth chambers.
- HPLC Mass spectrometry with triple quadrupole and diode array.
- Refrigerated incubation chambers with stirrers.
- Fourier transform infrared spectrometer.
- Analytic/preparative HPLC systems with IR, diode array, fluorescence detectors, etc.
- Perkin Elmer LS-5B fluorescence spectrometer.
- SIGMA 4K10 Ultracentrifuge with temperature controller.
- SOLAAR M Series equipment, UNICAM atomic spectroscope with flame spray absorption (FA-AAS) and electrothermal atomization (ETA-AAS)
- Waters Quanta 4000 Capillary Electrophoresis system with UV detection.
- Mushroom cultivation fermentation cylinders.
- Centrifugal separation extractor.
- Ion trap mass spectrometer.
- Multiple reactor, with temperature variable to –80˚C.
- High speed refrigerated centrifuge.
Facultad de Ciencias,
C/ República Saharaui, 7
11510, Campus de Puerto Real, Cádiz