The principal aim of the University of Cadiz Marine Research Institute is training, scientific and technical research and the transfer of knowledge to its social and economic environment, from the perspective of the different disciplines that study the sea and its resources, and coastal territories.
Lines of research
The INMAR is a centre attached to the Campus of International Excellence of the Sea (CEIMAR) and, the same as the CEIMAR, groups its research and transfer activity into five major thematic areas:
- Marine ecosystems and global change, studying the marine environment from a biology, ecology, physics, chemistry and geology point of view, and focusing its results on the analysis of climate change indicators.
- Marine technologies, oriented towards the investigation of new technologies applicable to the assessment and protection of the environment and towards the study of the behaviour of the materials used in these technologies in the marine environment.
- Protection of the marine environment, focused on the assessment and management of anthropogenic pressure on the marine environment and the application of environmental regulations. The levels and distribution of pollutants are analyzed and their effect on the biota.
- Sustainable exploitation of living marine resources, focusing research on the biological species of greater economic interest, from their biology and physiology, to their techniques and improvements in cultivation methods. It applies advanced molecular biology, genetics and genomics techniques. Marine bioproducts of interest are investigated.
- The ocean and society. An area that focuses its research on marine and maritime archaeology, studying the relationship of man with the sea and its resources from prehistory to the present day.
The installations and facilities of the INMAR are located in the Andalusian Centre for Marine Studies (CASEM) and in the UCA “Research Institutes” building, where the management and technical analysis services are also found. The research areas have updated equipment for the development of their activity and are organized in thematic units or laboratories:
- Vessels for coastal research.
- Remotely operated underwater inspection vehicles (ROV).
- Equipment for anchoring and temporary registration of oceanographic variables.
- Multibeam system for bathymetry in shallow water.
- Oceanographic equipment for the sampling of water, plankton and benthos.
- Marine Telecommunications Laboratory.
- Underwater Acoustics Laboratory.
- Pilot plants for purification of effluents and oily waters.
- Pilot plants for the cultivation of microalgae.
Molecular Biology, Biotechnology and Bioassay Unit/Laboratory:
- Quality bioanalysers of DNA, RNA and proteins and genetic expression.
- Integrated flow cytometry and microscopy system for microplankton analysis.
- Climatic chambers with control of environmental variables.
Marine water and Sediment Analysis Unit/laboratory:
- Cleanroom for ultra-clean analytical techniques.
- Advanced chromatography systems for the analysis of pollutants, emergent compounds and metabolites.
- Nutrient and carbon in water autoanalysers.
- Granulometry and sediment particles size analysers.
- Instruments for the study of archaeological and archaeometry products
Instituto Universitario de Investigación Marina (INMAR). Institutos de Investigación, planta baja.
Av. República Saharaui s/n, 11510, Campus de Puerto Real, Cádiz
Tel. (+34) 956 016747