Institute for Research into Electronic Microscopy and Materials
The aim of the IMEYMAT is to combine and share efforts, resources and ideas, to become a benchmark centre in the field of material research and especially, in the development and application of techniques based on TEM and SEM microscopy as a fundamental tool in their study. The members of the Institute collaborate with researchers and technologists from public centres and professional from the industry, committed to local and regional development, with international vocation.
The UCA is a benchmark institution in electron microscopy due to the value of its instrumentation facilities; the high impact capacity, experience, and productivity of its scientists; and its network of active and fluid contacts with leading groups in the application of these techniques worldwide. This uniqueness is considered to be the most distinctive feature of the IMEYMAT.
Synergies for the development of materials: in this specialized and interdisciplinary Institute, scientists from branches of Chemistry, Solid State Physics or Material Science and Engineering, work together to apply electron microscopy, as well as other complementary techniques (optical, scanning probe and scanning electrochemical microscopy; and physical-chemical characterization by other methods). These studies include pre-preparation techniques for solid samples, and computation for modelling, simulation, or image analysis.
Lines of research
Manufacturing, experimenting and analysis of materials with multiple applications, among others, in:
- The generation of nanofluids for heat or coolant transfer.
- Photovoltaic and photocatalysis technology that uses the properties of nanostructures.
- State-of-the-art methods of environmental catalysis for the treatment of air or water pollution and in catalysis for the production of clean energy.
- Production of electrodes and biosensors based on nanoparticles.
- Electronic engineering of synthetic diamond, of carbon nanotubes, of thin semi-conductor layers, or by means of the nano-mechanization of materials with ion beams.
- Synthesis of biomaterials with silica aerogels and water sanitation with hydrophobic gels.
- Additive manufacturing, integrating materials such as graphene into polymeric matrices for 3D printing.
The IMEYMAT researchers have privileged access to state-of-the-art facilities and laboratories valued at over 25M€, that include direct management features in the form of Peripheral Research Services, and equipment and instruments that scientists in the divisions of “Electronic Microscopy”, “Laboratory for the Preparation of Solid Microscope Samples”, “Photoelectronic Spectroscopy” and “Additive Manufacturing” of the Scientific Research and Technology Central Service (SC-ICYT) of the UCA are responsible for. They are also able to use the “X-Ray Diffraction” and “Atomic Spectroscopy” divisions of the SC-ICYT; and of the Supercomputing Cluster of Research Support (CAI) of the UCA. This is the list of laboratories or in-house services:
- Micro and Nano characterisation of Materials Laboratory.
- Laboratories of Preparation and Study of Samples for TEM, SEM and Materialography.
- Dual System of SEM Microscopy with Focused Ion Beams (FIB).
- Surface Metrology Laboratory.
- Optical and Magnetic Properties Laboratories
- Mechanical Properties Laboratory.
- Solar Energy Systems and Materials Laboratory.
- Catalysis Laboratory.
- Additive Manufacturing Laboratory (3D Printing): Materials, Prototypes and Production.
- Testing, Study and Selection Service of Materials for the Industrial Sector.